Monday, June 10, 2013

Just Do It. No, really. Just do it.

Yesterday after lamenting (and blogging about) my long cultivated desire to sit on my posterior for 23.87 hours a day, I got over it. Sometimes all it takes to overcome a mental hurdle is to stop obsessing over it for a few minutes. So, instead of freaking out that I had negative desire to be active and therefore would always be overweight and duct taped to my couch until someone removed me with a crane, I chilled out and watched a Lifetime movie to take my mind off of things for a bit.

Halfway through Not Without My Adopted Daughter's Cousin or The Sinister Man She Met Online or whatever, I got excited about exercising again, and called up my mom to see if she wanted to go for a walk. She did, and we headed to the local hospital to walk the path that winds around a scenic little pond out front.

I have no idea how long the path is, but we walked around it three times, and I was all breathless and itchy and sweaty and sore when we were finished, so I will count it a success. I'm sure my mom felt like she was walking in slow motion, or maybe sleeping, since she's super tiny and has always been a speed walker without trying (and I was moving at a pace that after two years of no exercise probably resembled a statue of a person walking), but she was nice about it and didn't complain.

I felt so good after walking, and the high stayed with me for the remainder of the evening. I need to bottle up that feeling! Or, I guess I just need to keep exercising...

When I was shopping for workout clothes yesterday, I kept looking at a display of Nike t-shirts with the super famous "Just Do It" slogans. I'm not sure what I thought it meant in the past, or if I've ever really thought about it at all, but as I was battling the desire to ditch exercise for a few more months, the only thing that really snapped me out of it was Just Do(ing) It.

That's the bottom line, isn't it? I may never feel warm and fuzzy and giddy with excitement over exercise. I may always prefer sleeping in or watching tv or undergoing major surgery or removing my own fingernails with pliers over going for a run. I may have to battle through this mental block that tells me fitness is something to fear every day for the rest of my bloody life. But how I feel isn't what is going to get me results. I need to just do it.

The first step is the hardest, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment